Sunday, March 6, 2016

1960's: Freedom Songs

Today's blog may take a little longer than normal so make sure you have about 15-20 minutes to sit at the computer.

Freedom songs were a way of life during the Civil Rights Movement. The songs contained many meanings for all participants. Songs could embody sadness, happiness, joy, or determination among many other feelings. Freedom songs served as mechanism for unity among the black community during the movement. 

The songs also served as a means of communication among the participants when words just were not enough. The song “We Shall Overcome” quickly became the face of the movement. 

Music of the civil rights era was crucial to the productivity of the movement. Music communicated unspeakable feelings and the desire for radical change across the nation. Music strengthened the movement, adding variety to freedom progression strategies. Music was highly successful in that the songs were direct and repetitive, getting the message across clearly and efficiently. 

Melodies were simple with repeating choruses, which allowed easy involvement within both black and white communities furthering the spread of the songs message. There was often more singing than talking during protests and demonstrations, showing how powerful the songs really were. 

Participants felt a connectedness with one another and their movement through the songs. Freedom songs were often used politically to grab the attention of the nation to address the severity of segregation. 

Songs were often derived from the Christian background, usually from hymns. Hymns were slightly altered to incorporate wording reflective upon civil rights protests, and current situations as they were brought out of the churches and into the streets. 

Although most freedom songs derived from hymns, it was important to include songs from other genres. To accommodate those who were not as religious, rock and roll songs could be altered to become freedom songs, which allowed for a broader amount of activists to partake in the singing.

View this website and take the interactive journey. Be patient, turn on your sound, and listen to the narrative. 

Also, listen to either the story of the Leslie, Jones or Davenport family. You choose. 

Here is an optional 4 minute music video, The song is called Glory and the  scenes from Selma. As you watch and listen, think about how song is a powerful way to express emotions during this time in history. 

Lastly, Read this webpage and listen to all five songs to decide which song YOU think defined the times best.


Comment on the blog: 
Tell us which song and why do you feel like it gave words and feelings to the Civil Rights movement.

18 comments:

  1. Nina Simone I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel to Be Free) I thought that song gave words and feelings to the Civil Rights movement because she was singing about how they should be equal and free and how they did not know what it was like. Plus it was one of the only songs with lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song I believe that gives words and feeling to the Civil Rights Movement would definetly be 'We Shall Overcome'. I found the lyrics on a different site and they are quite beautiful. It explains unification and justice so well. I love how much the song used the word "we" in it. If I had lived in this time zone and I were a discriminated colored person, this song would make me feel like I was not alone and make me feel hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel to Be Free) by Nina Simone is the song I picked. The passion and direct feelings of wanting to be free is a good song for the Civil Right movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The song that I chose is "This Little Light of Mine" by Sam Cooke. It gave words and feelings to the Civil Rights movement because it was so uplifting and joyful. I think the words to the song meant to spread kindness and always be kind to whites and blacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked that little light of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked that little light of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The song I felt gave the words and feelings to the Civil Rights movement was "lift every voice and sing" by Hank Crawford and Jimmy McGriff (I looked up the lyrics). The lyrics are so powerful and explain the hardships that they have been through, but also the good that has come from all of it and how God has guided their path. Its very inspirational and i think it captured a great picture of what it was like for them and how it felt to be in their place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'The Selma March' by Grant Green didn't have lyrics but I loved it. I got this from the website, but the song seems to reflect the happiness of the blacks over the success of the latest Selma march. The song is just fun and makes you want to dance, which is probably what the blacks did when they heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the songs I pick are "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and "I Wish I Knew". first lets start with lift every voice, even though there aren't any words I can tell its a happy song. the title also implies they will try to get every one to join them in getting equality for blacks. in I wish I knew it tells the whites they want freedom and they want to know how feels to be free! it also sounds very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm supposed to pick 1 but I couldn't help myself, they are both great songs!

      Delete
  10. I liked "I wish I knew” by Nina Simone. The lyrics at the bottom gave me chills the I heard them because it showed that all the African Americans really wanted was to be friends with the whites. They just wanted to share their hearts and their love with them but they weren’t supposed to because of those “bars” holding them back. It’s cool to see that all they wanted was to be free.

    I wish I could share
    All the love that's in my heart
    Remove all the bars
    That keep us apart

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked " We Shall over come" by Larry Goldings its instrumental but calming and passionate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a good way to say that. I like it!

      Delete
  12. The name it self says that the blacks will over come the discrimination between the blacks and the whites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know, but I liked the calm and passionate part. :p

      Delete
  13. I think "This Little Light of Mine" captured it. It showed how they had this thought and they wanted it to be free! The little light could be the thought of freedom, equality, and respect. But over all it is a very pretty song that has a deeper meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The song that I felt like gave words and feelings to the Civil Rights movement is "This Little Light of Mine" by Sam Cooke. It was uplifting for the times and I think symbolized the will to fight peacefully for the African-Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked "Lift Every Voice and Sing"
    I liked it because I thought it brought out not only the fact that it supported African Americans speaking out for their freedom, but that it showed the talents of some African Americans, especially their musical talents with jazz and everything :).

    ReplyDelete